Head of Engineering
Mainline is an esports technology company and tournament organizer. We live to host esports tournaments. We take care of everything from design and production to administration and moderation – but our core focus is on creating the behind-the-scenes technology and backbone to power the tournament infrastructure.
Our goal is to create the best possible end-to-end tournament solutions for our clients, which include colleges and universities, major organizations, businesses, and brands.
We believe in the power of competitive gaming. We believe in our mission statement: “Making it easy to unlock the value of esports for everyone.”
Your objective: Establish, build, motivate, and run Mainline’s development team, making them one of the best in the country. This position reports to the Chief Product Officer.
- First and foremost, you take pride in what you produce. You understand the significant influence you have over the company’s products, so you are driven to work hard because of your internal high bar – not because someone asked you to.
- You are capable of performing managerial tasks while delivering business outcomes through our products. Balancing the management of your time while working and planning alongside our product team is essential to the success of this position.
- You keep a startup mentality when approaching your work. This means you’re good with rapid change and dedicated to completing tasks under pressure.
- You probably dream big ideas but understand the need for a business to deliver on time. You have no problem prioritizing and working with the team to ensure our deadlines are met.
- You’re great at communicating with different personality types; you’re also great at overcommunication. This position will interface with multiple teams to bring a cooperative goal to completion – and your candid communication will get you there.
- You are detail-oriented, organized, and capable of tracking multiple features and flows related to the product.
Job Description and Responsibilities
Mainline is looking for a Head of Engineering to take ownership of our development team. The immediate goal of the position is to scale our flagship product, Hydra, while implementing an agile mindset, uncompromising dedication to craft, and a culture of learning. Our current engineering team consists of five front-end developers, three back-end developers, and two QA specialists.
Mainline is prepping to scale, and the Head of Engineering – alongside the Head of Product and Head of Design – will be responsible for the transition for tripling the size of the Product Team while supporting user growth, new features, and maintaining quality, scalable code. The Head of Engineering will shepherd the team to the next level as our services grow, the product and expectations become more sophisticated and complex, and the number of employees scales.
- As one of the leaders of the Product Team, it will also be your responsibility to create a culture of growth. This includes recruiting, retaining, and developing strong and diverse talent.
- You will own the full scope of the engineering discipline, from long-term technical strategy and architecture to the day-to-day operation of the enterprise
- Leveraging a microservices architecture, the expectation is to continuously test, deploy, and launch features according to the roadmap set by the business
- As a strategic lead for the Product Team, you will be responsible for managing, scaling, and aligning all components of the Engineering Team (front end, back end, DevOps, QA, et. al.) alongside Design and Product
- Concept to ideation to launch, you are capable of deploying and executing on the right technologies for the strategies and concepts the business prioritizes
- Technical excellence is not just a goal but is expected. You will keep the team on the cutting-edge, and you will strive for documented, beautiful, consistent, and scalable code. Your input in this arena will be invaluable through design reviews, architecture and technology choices, retrospectives, and more
Skills and Qualifications
- 5-8 years of engineering experience with 3-4 years of managerial experience leading a development team in an agile environment
- Built a consumer-facing product; familiarity with double-sided marketplaces a plus
- Postgres, MySQL, microservices-based architecture
- Azure/AWS expertise, AWS Lambda/Azure Functions, Kubernetes
Mainline offers competitive salaries and benefits, including paid health, vision, dental, life insurance, and short-term disability for the employee. We also offer unlimited vacation.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
The Bottom Line:
We want to help you
Absolutely no pressure. No hard sell. Let's get together and see if we can help you grow your esports programs and tournaments.